Portable Water Filter
Having a portable water filter with you is really handy. These things are great for hiking and camping. They are faster and more convenient than boiling or using chemicals. They won't work in definitely but depending on the specific filter you can usually do like 1000 liters before having to change the filter medium. There are a bunch of different options available when picking out a filter.
MSR Guardian Water Purifier Pump
Other Methods - Trade Offs
There are other methods of purifying water. You can use tablets or iodine. Boiling is a great all around option. These are all OK methods but each with trade offs to consider.
Tablets or Iodine:
- The bottles are compact.
- It is not great to ingest chemicals long term.
- They may taste bad.
- You may have to wait a while (30 mins with iodine).
- They won't remove heavy metals.
- Some people are alergic to it.
- It won't remove heavy metals.
- It takes a while.
- You need to make a fire or have a stove.
- You can keep doing it indefinitely (no filters or tablets to run out of).
Amazon affiliate disclosure statement
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.